How to fix the cylinder lift seal?

Mark D
I have a 1983 Yale forklift its a 4cyl propane.. Anyways the the seal around the chrome lift cylinder is leaking.. It looks like i may be able to change it myself easy enough, but don't want to get in over my head if becomes a big pain.. I really can't afford to have it towed to a shop and can't wait.. it looks like its only a few hour job..

I'm looking for advice on where to start first andy tips and tricks and what not to do.. also could i take the seal to an industrail hardware store and get one matched or does it have to be oem? any help would be so greatly appreciated as i have a load of flooring coming in at the end of the week and need to get it fixed the fluid leaks bad i have to keep adding, and the floor gets slippery.. thankyou so much!

Mark D

Re: How to fix the cylinder lift seal?

Andy (mechanic/owner)
Hello,
if it is a center cylinder on the triple stage mast, block up the carriage so the chains become loose, pop off the chains, take off he cross head, and unscrew the top of the cylinder. use the screw driver to pop out the packing, pop out the wiper, and remove the o-ring from around the threaded area. Take those parts to a hydraulic repair shop, have them match the packings, and reverse the assembly. Make sure you put a lot of grease on the packing before you reassemble it.
Hope it helps,
Andy

Re: How to fix the cylinder lift seal?

INOXIDABLE
When I had a need for a workshop manual for a forklift or some other heavy equipment, mostly I found it here: ManualSoft - Workshop manuals and Parts catalogues The largest collection of manuals that I have ever seen. Manuals from brands like Linde, Jungheinrich, Toyota/BT, Allis Chalmers, Atlet, Atlas Copco, Baker, Belet, Clark, Crown, Doosan/Daewoo, Harnischfeger, HC-Forklift, Hyster, Hyundai, Manitou, Marklift, Nissan-Forklift, Steinbock, Simon, Terex and Yale they have.

Cheers INOX

Re: How to fix the cylinder lift seal?

Clarkmite
If you cannot repair it then take those parts to a water powered repair shop, have them match the packings, and reverse the get together. Determine you put a mess of oil on the pressing before you reassemble it.

Re: How to fix the cylinder lift seal?

petter44
Yeah, you can take help from some professional forklift mechanic.  They will help you and resolve your al problems as you want!

second hand forktrucks